If you are like me or most people out there, you already have plenty of things you need to remember. Having to remember your computer password, while important, sometimes get’s placed in the back of your brain and later when you try to recall it, you’re lost. Well, not anymore at least. We are going to go over how to create your own Windows 7 password reset disk. Let’s get started:
- Click Start and select Control Panel
- Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety link
- Click on the User Accounts link (Important: Before you proceed, make sure have some kind of portable media to create a password reset disk on. This means that you will need a flash drive. You are unable to use a CD, DVD, or external hard drive in Windows 7)
- in the task pane on the left, click the Create a password reset disk link (Important: if you receive a “No Drive” warning message, it means you don’t have the flash drive connected properly. Please reconnect)
- Once the next windows appears titled “Forgotten Password Wizard”, click Next
- In the I want to create a password key disk in the following drive: drop down box, choose the flash drive to create a Windows 7 password reset disk on and click Next to continue
- Enter your current account password in the text box and click Next
- Windows 7 will now create the password reset disk on your chosen media
- When the progress indicator shows 100% complete, click Next and then click Finish in the next window
- You can now remove the flash drive from your computer
- Label the disk or flash drive “Windows 7 Password Reset” and store it in a safe place
And that’s it! We have now successfully created a Windows 7 password reset disk. Now you will always have access to your data even if you forget your password.
By the way, if this ever happens and you don’t have a password reset disk, fill out our support request form and we will help you regain access to your data.